Most people think that being fired is one of the worst things that can happen to you. And while that may be true for some people, for others it is a true blessing.
If it seems impossible to you that being fired could actually be a blessing, read on to find out why.
1) It can free you from a bad situation. Some people will never leave a job unless they are forced to. In this kind of situation, getting fired can be a blessing in disguise.
2) It can free you to think of better options. You might start to think about a different career path if you realize that the employment options in your industry are not very good. For example, some people in the real estate market decided during the recession to apply their skills to new industries because it would be some time before the housing market turned around.
3) You may receive severance pay while you look for something better. Not everyone receives severance pay, but if you do, this money can tide you over while you reassess your options and find something that is a better fit for you.
4) You might be offered outplacement services. Of course not everyone who is terminated receives outplacement services, but even some of the people who do are not aware of what these services can do for them. You can learn the latest job search techniques, practice your interviewing skills, and receive help with your resume while your old company pays for it. Outplacement services can help you reinvent your career.
5) Being fired can motivate you to do self-examination. You can avoid costly mistakes in the future if you know why you were fired in the first place. It is possible that you were in an area that was vulnerable because the work that you did wasn’t deemed to be critical to the bottom line. Or maybe you didn’t get have a great relationship with your boss, and that made it easier for management to eliminate your position. Assessing why you were let go can provide valuable insights that will help you in the future.
If you need assistance with your career after being fired, call 877-743-9521 today to speak to a certified career coach.