Are you a member of a LinkedIn group? If you are not, you should be. You can be a member of 100 groups on LinkedIn at a time. This is a generous amount, and the average person would not want to be a member of that many groups because it is too time-consuming to keep up with them all. But even though you don’t want to overwhelm yourself with being involved in too many groups, that does not in any way detract from the fact that being a group member on LinkedIn is a plus.
So how do you get the most of LinkedIn groups?
1) Join groups. First of all, to get the most out of a LinkedIn group, you have to join. Many people do not take advantage of this feature on LinkedIn, probably because they don’t know how it will benefit them.
2) Contribute. Once you join a group, you need to take the next step and contribute to the group. Each group gives you the ability to post something that would be relevant to the group. You can post an article or ask a question that you would like for group members to respond to. By doing this, you can gain visibility within the group and become known.
3) Comment. When other group members post questions to the open forum, comment on the questions. This is a way to share your expertise with other people who share similar interests.
4) Check the Jobs tab. If you are looking for new opportunities, you might not realize that each group has a Jobs tab where employers can post their vacancies. You may see positions posted here that are not posted elsewhere.
5) Strike up conversations. One advantage of joining a group is that you can contact up to 15 group members individually each month. So instead of having to use InMail to reach someone who is not a first level contact, by joining a group, you extend your reach across the site.
But before you start using groups to your advantage, make sure that your LinkedIn profile is top-notch. You don’t want other group members to be favorably impressed with your comments and questions on LinkedIn and then give your profile a thumbs-down. Your brand has to be consistent.
*CalltoCareer.com aids LinkedIn users with maximizing their use of the site and optimizing their profiles.