You have probably had interviews before, and you have no doubt landed jobs before. But if you haven’t interviewed in the last year or two, it’s probably time for a refresh.
Here are some strong reasons for doing a mock interview with a professional to make sure that you ace the real interview:
1. Receive real time feedback. Even if you have experience with interviewing as both an interviewer and interviewee, nothing can substitute for feedback from a trusted professional. There are things that you may be doing that are hurting you in the interview process, but you are unaware of them. Doing a mock interview with a professional will give you the feedback that you need so that you can hit the right notes when you go to the real interview.
2. Practice makes perfect. Interviewing is a skill, and like any other skill, the more you practice, the better you will become. For a job that you really want, you cannot afford to simply wing it. Practice is an essential part of preparing for the interview.
3. Increase your confidence. It is common to become nervous before an interview. Your palms may sweat, and you may find it difficult to answer questions well when you are under stress. But doing a mock interview can make you feel more confident going into the interview because you have a good idea of what to expect. You have practiced and prepared yourself appropriately.
4. Make your mistakes in a safe environment. The stakes are fairly high when you go to the interview. What you say and how you present yourself will make or break your candidacy. If you say the wrong thing, that could derail any chance that you had of landing the job. So it only makes sense to make your mistakes in an environment where you can work out the kinks before you enter a real interview where the employer is not likely to be forgiving.
5. Develop answers to likely questions before the real interview. Part of the reason that job seekers often become very nervous before an interview is that they do not know what they may be asked. They are afraid of being thrown a curveball in the form of a question that they cannot answer. But a trained professional can help you anticipate the types of interview questions that are most probable given the type of position that you are applying for and help you prepare ahead of time.
*Do you have an interview coming up, or do you anticipate an interview in the near future? Don’t take chances. Schedule a mock interview with a certified career coach today! Call 877-743-9521 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.