If you are a job seeker with limited time, you want to use the most effective and efficient job search methods available. Unfortunately however, many people are unwittingly sabotaging themselves by spending most or all of their time on job search methods that have a low rate of success.
Here are some job search methods that you shouldn’t spend much time on:
1. Searching job boards. Searching for positions on job boards is probably the most common job search method, but it is also one of the least effective. According to a Walls Street Journal article, only 13% of positions are filled through job boards. So if you have been using job boards exclusively as your job search method, and you haven’t seen much success, now you know why.
2. Posting your resume. In addition to applying to jobs on job boards, many job searchers post their resumes to these job boards, hoping that an employer will see their resumes and contact them. But many job seekers report that the only people they hear from are from insurance companies, and these job seekers have no experience or interest in insurance.
3. Attending job fairs. Although not as popular as job boards, many job seekers spend their time going to job fairs. But many job seekers have reported to me that when they go to job fairs, the recruiters simply tell them to go to a website to apply. They could have done that from home.
4. Applying for everything. Sometimes job seekers become desperate and start applying for everything, even jobs that they know they are not qualified for. This is not a good use of time because employers are looking for candidates who are a good match for the positions that they have open. You will see better success if you target your efforts.
5. Sending letters to companies with no posted openings. There are companies that claim they will help you with your job search by blasting your resume to thousands of companies. But this is not a very effective job search method either. Most recruiters are not going to even glance at unsolicited resumes.
If you want to see real results from your job search, hire a professional. Call 877-743-9521 or send an email to email@example.com to jumpstart your search.