You may have sent out many resumes, but you are frustrated because you have gotten little to no response. And perhaps the responses that you have received from posting your resume to large job boards are completely unrelated to your field.
Here are some reasons that your resume is not working for you:
1) It’s generic. A resume that is not targeted will not hit anything. You have to know what type of position you are seeking and tailor the resume accordingly. A recruiter should be able to pick up your resume and within seconds see how your experience matches the position that the person is trying to fill.
2) The format looks unprofessional. Your resume sends a message, whether that message is positive or negative. If the format looks unprofessional, but you are looking for a professional position, you end up shooting yourself in the foot. You should use a crisp, professional format that represents you well.
3) There are no keywords. These days most resumes are scanned into a resume database after candidates submit them. Recruiters then search those resume databases for their perfect candidates by using keywords. If you don’t have keywords on your resume, your resume may never see the light of day.
4) Your resume is too long. Generally speaking, your resume should not exceed two pages. And the most important information should be on the first page. By writing a lengthy, wordy resume, you are giving recruiters a reason to weed you out of the hiring process. Make it easy for recruiters to say yes to your resume by giving them a concise document that gets right to the point.
5) It’s unfocused. Often job seekers who have experience in varied areas fall into this trap. It may be tempting to include a lot of different types of experience on your resume in the hopes that something will catch the employer’s eye, but this is unlikely to happen. You have to do the work to ensure that your resume is focused and does not send mixed messages.
For a resume that is professional, focused, and specific to your job objective, have your resume written by a Certified Professional Resume Writer. Call 877-743-9521 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org today!