An article in USA Today states that two in five people say that they have gained weight at work. Your job can conspire against you to damage your health when you feel required to eat birthday cake for your co-workers or join everyone at the local restaurant for lunch. But even though you do need to be social, you should not do it at the expense of your health.
But there are other conspirators too. The snack machine may call your name if you are under a high degree of stress or if you are so busy trying to finish a project that you don’t take time to be properly nourished. Or you may work late, and that keeps you from getting the appropriate amount of exercise.
The good news though is that there are easy things that you can do that are not very time consuming to take charge of your health.
Here is my advice:
1) Bring your own lunch. Generally speaking, you will pack something healthier for yourself than you will buy at the local deli or restaurant. By bringing your own lunch on a regular basis, you will save money and improve your health.
2) Drink water instead of soda. You can give water some taste with a slice of lemon if water tastes bland to you or drink coconut water since it has far fewer calories than soda or even juice.
3) Walk during your lunch hour. If you have an hour for lunch, eat your lunch first and then spend the rest of the time walking. The exercise in the middle of the day will help you to stay healthy and will also help you to manage your stress level.
4) Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Taking the elevator is easy and convenient, but if you want to improve your health at work, try taking the stairs instead. It will give you some exercise during the day.
5) Use an ergonomic computer keyboard and chair. If you work in an office, you can get carpal tunnel if you use the computer too much. By using an ergonomic keyboard and chair, you will have good posture and avoid injury.
Implementing these small changes into your life will take effort. It may be easy to slip back into your old habits. But just remember that your health is worth it. If you lose your health, you may not be able to regain it, so take care of it while you have it. It means that you will live to work another day.